Saturday, June 11, 2011

Trail Run and Swimming

Grady and I ran in the Peace Place trail run this morning at Fort Yargo state park. It was supposed to be a 5K, but they directed the first 20 or so of us to make a wrong turn before they figured out their mistake, so the people who started out with the lead ended up running more than four miles. When we hooked back up with the group for the last mile and saw how far behind we were, we were like what the heck?! I ran past the clock at 45:07, and I was going for about 30, so not quite there! We stood around and commiserated a bit about how mile two did feel a bit long, but it was a good run and we had fun so whatever. They still gave the trophies to the first finishers, because what else could they do, really? I was pretty disappointed because I was running to win it and I ran a great race (if long), but there will be other chances.

After the run we went swimming in the lake at the park and my knee started bothering me. It's been really sore ever since, so I'm icing it. I know I have been overtraining pretty badly. I wanted to do my long run Thursday night after it got cool, but I talked myself out of it and went to bed early, only to wake up too early Friday morning and do the run anyway, even though I have Crossfit Friday afternoons. Looking back at my exercise logs, I've taken exactly seven rest days in April-June, one if which was last Thursday, which is why I had to talk myself out of running. It just makes no sense for me to tell myself "no" when I'm motivated because who knows when that will happen again? Well, apparently it happens every day, so maybe I just need to get over that. I'm just not used to having so much free time, I feel like I should take advantage of it every day. Maybe that will change now that I'm in summer school.

1 comment: