Monday, May 23, 2011

Weekdays and Weekends

I'm still on summer break, which I am learning equates to very boring weekdays and very busy weekends. Either one can be a recipe for either disaster or success, depending on how I handle them.

Having weekdays off is nice, but when everybody else still has to go to work, it can get lonely and boring. The days drag on and sometimes I find that I have used up nearly all my days points by 11 a.m. just because I have nothing to do to pass the time but think about my next snack or meal. I don't even have homework right now, which is extremely unusual. The flip side of that is that I have all the time in the world to exercise, grocery shop, prep food, and cook delicious healthy foods. I don't have to rely on fast food and convenience food and all the unhealthiness those things bring. I can take a long run and go to Crossfit and work in the yard all on the same day and rack up insane amounts of activity points. It's just a matter of making the most of what opportunities I have.

Weekends during the summer are a whole other story. We have campouts and parties and barbecues and so much stuff going on that we're having to pick and choose and prioritize, which really breaks my heart. I want to do everything! I want to see everyone! Of course the real issue is that these events are full up with booze and food. I know what I need to do to navigate them successfully, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

This of course brings me to this past weekend. Saturday was fine and Sunday started out great. Grady and I participated in the Weight Watchers Walk-It 5K in Elberton. It was a super hot day for it (102 degrees!) but the trail was mostly in the shade and it was still pretty pleasant, if terribly hot.


When you live in the South, I guess your two choices are to enjoy the crazy weather or be miserable all the time, and I choose the former. Anyway, they had fruit and water at the event, and afterward we stopped at Subway to eat and change clothes before a three-hour drive to Atlanta for a friend's art event.

The event was at a brewery, so let's say that the tone of the day shifted in a big way for me when we arrived. I am actually really proud of how well I kept it together. I had two pints of beer, which was plenty, and we split a couple of appetizers and desserts. I did not feel great this morning, but in the grand scheme of things, I doubt I did very much damage at all. I am learning that I can incorporate meals and events like this on occasion, as long as they are the exception and just a short departure from an overall healthy lifestyle.

Still, I'm happy it's Monday and I have a fresh start on the week. My weekly points bank reset today and I've got nothing but good, whole foods in my lunchbox. I'm looking forward to my weigh-in and meeting tomorrow and my interview on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment