Friday, May 27, 2011

Successful Swimsuit Shopping

Old Navy has swimwear half off today, and as I mentioned in a previous post, I was in the market for a new suit, so off I went! I tried on eight suits, bought two, and I wasn't even traumatized by the experience. Old Navy vanity sizes something fierce (I've always known this and actually that's why it was one of my favorite stores when I was in that 14-16 "in between" stage of needing to shop at a plus-size store) so I came out with a small and a medium.

Despite my big words earlier in the week, I was still worried about today. I may not mind being seen in a suit, but that doesn't mean I enjoy shopping for them. Looking at myself in the mirror and critiquing my body and how it looks in areas that are covered up 99% of the time is scary. At least once I thought, "I could look so fly in this but it would take surgery." But at the same time it's a huge relief just to be able to buy off the rack. It's easy to look at baggy skin here or cellulite there and think about how much worse it could be. That skin could be stretched taut against 60 pounds of fat, and how fun would swimsuit shopping be then, huh?

In that way, I think I have an advantage that a lot of women don't have, especially younger women. I have never had a bikini body, and I never will, so I don't know what I'm missing. I don't beat myself up over one stretch mark or five pounds of abdominal fat because I know the big picture is all anybody is looking at anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! How cool is it to buy a Small?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried on a suit that fit last year and it's a no go. One month working hard at the gym and zero weight down. I know, i'm building muscle. Please inches start to shrink!

    ReplyDelete