Monday, May 16, 2011

Ow

Grady and I had an excellent time at Warrior Dash yesterday. The weather was perfect, warm enough that we didn't freeze in the water obstacles, but with enough intermittent clouds that we didn't overheat or get sunburns. The track was super muddy and we got all scratched and bruised up, and basically it was a totally fun time.


We spent the night in a lodge in Clayton. It's an adorable touristy mountain town with lots of trails for mountain biking, and I imagine there's skiing in the winter. We drove the scenic route home today, and it was still a pretty quick trip.

This evening we went to Crossfit and did bench presses, which I haven't ever done at Crossfit before. I've never been strong on that lift and apparently I'm still not. I maxed out at 85#, which for my weight class a novice lifter should expect to lift 90. No biggie, I got to shine for the timed workout. Half-mile run, 30 sit-ups, times four in 23:19. We took Ripley (our "big" chihuahua) with us and she got to run a couple of the legs with us. She was so thrilled.

This week I have work and next weekend we're going to Flint river in south Georgia on Saturday, and then it's back to Athens on Sunday for the Weight Watchers 5K. I'm also going to interview for the Weight Watchers job next week. Lots to be excited about.

6 comments:

  1. Is that an after picture? You both look way too clean! You're totally rocking the helmets, though.

    Good luck on the interview! They would be crazy not to hire you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's after. Grady changed his clothes but mine are still all wet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Corey! I meant to tell you "thanks!" for the recommendation. It was a really special time for both of us and I don't know if we would have considered it without your suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to the Seattle one in July. What did you think of the obstacles? Were any super difficult or did you need a partner to get through them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, they were way less physically demanding than they look in the pictures. There was nothing there that a grandma or a child couldn't manage. I think the challenge comes from having the heart to jump into the freezing mud, get dirty, get all scraped up and bruised on purpose. Nobody got through the "waterslide" without copious superficial injuries. It was basically a slip-n-slide tarp over a rocky slope into a muddy pile of hay and gravel. The challenge of most of the obstacles was figuring out how to get through it without losing your shoes. Basically, it was a huge over-sized playground for grown-ups. You're going to have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I'm not a military veteran, so playground for grown-ups sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the tip- I'll be sure to tie my shoes extra tight.

    ReplyDelete