I'm home today, enjoying my first at-home break day of summer. It occurs to me that if I stay in academia after grad school, I will have a lot of free time. Ages ago I was talking to my boss, who used to be a longshoreman and is now a professor. He joked about how nowadays he finds it so weird that people continue to work full-time through the summer and the holidays. Lots of leisure time is more important to my quality of life than having more money is, so this feels like the right path for me.
I hope you enjoyed that rare non-fitness-related insight into my personal life. Moving on...
So yesterday after work I went to Crossfit and there were just two members and the yoga instructor for the first class, so we went ahead and did a yoga workout. Later in the evening Grady and I went for a long walk and then did a few minutes of guided ujjayi breathing. His breathing is not great when he works out and I thought he might get something out of practicing breathing deliberately. He's such a great sport, he made the effort without any fuss at all. He's so great to work with.
For dinner we made shrimp and scallop fajitas with veggies and had them on low-carb tortillas. They were delicious but the fresh brussels sprouts I made on the side were not as good. I followed the directions which said to blanch them and then roast them, and they came out way too dry. Next time I'll steam them instead.
So I'm home today with plenty of spare time and no homework, so I am tooling around the house and getting things done. I made oatmeal for breakfast, from scratch with steel-cut oats, because I had the time. I cut up an apple and put it in with cinnamon, and I had an egg on the side. Totally delicious.
We haven't decided whether we're going to drive to Crossfit today or work out around home (or both), but we'll figure out something. I love this leisurely lifestyle!
No comments:
Post a Comment