Sunday, January 9, 2011

Podrunner Speedbump

I was looking at the Podrunner Intervals website today and I discovered their new Speedbump program. It says it's "Four 'progressive intervals' mixes designed to accelerate you from your current speed to a competitor's pace of 180 Beats Per Minute."

I'm comfortable with my four-mile run and I definitely feel like training for better time instead of more distance at this point. I know the crossfit training will help with that, too. It's fun to have a program again to try to level up in, like Couch to 5K.

I did Speedbump #1 today which is 8 minutes each of 160, 165, and 170 bpm, alternating between 3 minutes of 150 bpm. Of course the fastest interval was on my big uphill drive home. I thought I was going to die.



I live at a local maximum so there's no way not to end with a big climb like that. I love using that big hill to train for endurance and speed in races but it made today's run so freaking hard that I resented it. I know it's good for me though, and I was happy when it was over.

As far as my diet, it's worth mentioning that I am never hungry at all. I have to make myself eat and it's a challenge to get all my food in for the day. I know that's a side-effect of cutting out sugar and limiting carbs, and I like it. I am looking forward to going back to school and working my food and exercise into that routine. We might have a snow day tomorrow, though, so we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment