Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Wasting Food" or What I learned on Losing It

There was a new Losing It last night where Jillian went and visited the Yavapai-Apache Nation. At one point she threw away their fried bread and got in some hot water for "wasting food".

Later in the show she claimed that it wasn't food that she threw away, but poison. I think that's a really good way to look at it. The fried bread they were eating was literally killing them with diabetes and other diseases. Why should you worry about wasting something that is actually toxic?

I don't have as big a problem as some when it comes to throwing food out, but even I get uncomfortable sometimes when it comes to waste. I think I need to integrate Jillian's thought process on that into my own.

I would have no problem throwing away poison or spoiled food or even something I just plain don't care for. Since the only time I worry about it is when it is something that looks good, it's obviously not about the waste but about depriving myself of something I want. I need to keep that in mind the next time I have leftover donuts or bagels that need to get tossed before they get eaten.

4 comments:

  1. Good thinking... I wish we lived closer my chickens would LOVE your leftover donuts or bagels, lol. When I throw stuff out most of it goes to the chickens and I dont feel bad cause its coming back to me in EGGS :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have developed a system for converting junkie carbs into wholesome protein? Ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Jillian throw it away because of the carbs or the fat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was refined white flour fried in lard, so I'm going with "both".

    ReplyDelete