Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Food on TV

It's no secret that I watch a ton of TV. Since it's summertime, most of my shows are on hiatus, excepting Losing It, so I have been catching up on my DVDs (specifically Daria) and Hulu (specifically Make It or Break It). I don't know how many people notice the prop food or set dressings in shows, but in the last couple days I started paying attention and I was struck by how realistic it is. Well, mostly.

On Daria, she and Jane and most of their friends eat pizza constantly, but whenever they show the Fashion Club girls at lunch, they are having diet soda and a salad. Every single time. Then on Make It or Break It (a show about young Olympic gymnasts), the girls were sitting around the kitchen and there was a snack tray in front of them that was nothing but carrots, celery, and fruit. No candy or junk because even though they are kids, they are athletes, and they don't need that.



Now I know I'm not a high school girl, or a gymnast, or a fictional character on a show, but that's beside the point. Some set decorator or animator somewhere gets it. Everybody needs to eat, and those who are concerned about their weight need to eat a certain way. No matter how many models are cast in the TGI Fridays commercials, that reality is not going to change. Sure, I want to eat the Jack Daniels Wings, but I need to eat the salad. And if little fictional teenagers on TV can order that way and not be embarrassed about their so-called rabbit food, I need to look to them as an example.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a good insight! I noticed the snacks on Make It or Break It but didn't make the connection.

    ReplyDelete