I'm planning to give up alcohol for Lent. I have already cut down a lot this year, just due to counting points. I'm down to 4 or so drinks per week instead of per day. I don't think it would hurt me to completely abstain for 47 days. If it does, then I have an even bigger problem.
I made this choice this morning, because of what happened yesterday.
I was having a pretty crappy day. I was extremely hormonal and suffering from knee pain, and I decided I wanted to skip Curves and go home and polish off a half a bottle of wine that I had in the fridge. "It's Mardis Gras!" I kept telling myself, as if that has ever meant anything to me.
Somehow I talked myself into going to Curves after all, and when I got in the car afterward, I thought, you know what? There's no good reason to drink that wine. I'm already in a funk, and it would be pointless and wasteful to add a depressant to the mix.
Then I got home and I drank the wine! WTH?! I completely forgot that I decided not to and went for it anyway. I passed out and missed the second half of Lost and woke up this morning with a hangover.
So I'm going to take this opportunity to cleanse. I am not a religious person, but I believe that ritual fasts are healthy for our bodies and minds, regardless.
No comments:
Post a Comment