I had my second grown-up Crossfit workout today, and this time it was not scaled down. I did four rounds of stupid crazy garage exercises like flipping a big tractor tire around and beating it up with a sledgehammer. You know, exactly the stuff that looks so "fun" on the brochure but is actually totally hard to do in real life. It came out to 20 minutes total, high intensity the whole time.
So the thought process goes like this:
Round 1 - I seriously have to do four rounds of this?
Round 2 - If I could only drop dead right now I wouldn't have to keep going.
Round 3 - Hurr durr durr how to make limbs move?
Round 4 - That's it?! Awesome!
Seriously, this is hard as hell but it is the most fun thing I have ever done for exercise. It's a long way from Curves. The social aspect and cult mentality are the same, but the intensity is just slightly off. It's pretty much perfect, actually.
One thing I need to work on is remembering to stay and stretch instead of fleeing to my car as soon as I catch my breath. Since I've been doing this I haven't done any yoga and I don't want to lose my flexibility.
I have also been making a concerted effort to eat more actual meat, as opposed to relying on things like dairy and soy for my protein, because there's supposedly something about meat protein that makes it better for muscle building. I don't remember the specifics, but I'm willing to take them at their word on this particular issue because meat is delicious. After that workout, I was glad I ate half a chicken for lunch today.
I have been getting tons of comments from people at work and home about my weight loss, just in the last week. I "only" lost 8 pounds in January but all the clothes I got for Christmas are just hanging off me. I mentioned to Adam that a whole pant size should be about 20-30 pounds on me, not less than 10, and we talked some about muscle density and what-not. It's obviously far more involved than "muscle weighs more than fat" but the result is the same. I am seeing some serious definition and even bulk in my thighs and yet my clothes are loose. Apparently I'm still losing more in volume in fat than I'm gaining in muscle, despite the increase in muscle mass.
Long story short, I need new clothes again after a month and it rules.
Oh yeah, also, I did push presses today at 50.5 pounds. I guess I need to keep track of those gains here since I'm not keeping a paper log now that on-ramp is over.
Hi! I'm Jennifer. I am a 36-year-old Air Force veteran and a graduate student at the University of Georgia. I have been a Lifetime Member at Weight Watchers since April, 2011, and I have been blogging my weight-loss experience semi-regularly since I began in January, 2010. I am currently employed as a receptionist at Weight Watchers, but the opinions expressed in this blog and its related pages are my own.
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment