Friday, May 21, 2010

Dealing with Constant Temptation

I live with two big men who do not diet, and I work in an office that is always full of treats and junk, so I am constantly surrounded by temptation. I figure a normal person just eats what satisfies them and then stops, but if I eat "what I want when I want it" I'll eat everything in front of me. So if I see something that looks really, really good, good enough to be worth incorporating into my diet, I still wait. I say, if I still want it tomorrow I can have it. Most of the time I don't want it (or when I do, sometimes I'll ask myself again if it will still be there the following day and can I still wait). And here's the best part. Turning it down the first time makes it easier to say no the next time. It's like quitting smoking, the more often you turn a cigarette down, the easier it gets.

I went on a trip to my grandfather's funeral a few weeks ago, and before we went, my mom and I got together over email and figured out a "game plan" on dealing with the food and drinks while we were there. I mentioned that it's pretty annoying to be talking about trivial stuff like food while we're mourning her father, but she said, "It sucks, but it's something we have to do." A little bit of tough love from mom always helps keep things in perspective.

So that's my new mantra when I'm getting angry or bitter about not being able to eat what I want when I want it. "It sucks, but it's something we have to do." The truth is we're adults and we can eat whatever we want. We just won't get the results we want if we do. It sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment