I did WW 13 years ago, and lost 80 pounds over 22 months, and I was thin for the first time in my life. I joined the military, something I had always been interested in but I never met the weight requirements. I slowly put the weight almost all back on, gaining less than 10 pounds a year, but it added up. It was a struggle for me to meet the weight and fitness standards of the Air Force, and that was a big part of my sad choice not to reenlist after my four years were up.
Then in the two years after I left the Air Force, I moved cross-country twice and got divorced and remarried and bought a house and essentially had a lot of stress and emotional stuff going on. I put on a bunch more weight really quick. I was at my absolute heaviest at my wedding last December, over 200 pounds which was a number I never thought I would see again. As happy as I was to be getting married, I was disappointed about my weight.
I started back on Weight Watchers last January with a New Year's resolution like a lot of us do. I do the program on my own at home, using my old materials as well as Dotti's and other internet resources, plus my mom over email. I considered joining a meeting, but I decided that money would be better spent on a Curves membership. I work out at Curves three days per week, and once a month they take my measurements and weight and body fat, and I can celebrate with the group. I got a new puppy and I walk her 0.7 miles 2-3 times per day. Before the puppy I had been running several times per week, but I have dialed that back so I don't burn out. I will have plenty of activity over the summer with gardening and hiking and general summer activities.
Before I started, I had to buy a bunch of new pants at Dress Barn in size 16, because none of my 14s fit me anymore. Now after four months and 27 pounds, my 14s are starting to get baggy and I think in another few pounds I'll make a trip to Goodwill or Plato's Closet for some 12s.
I still have a long way to go, but I'm off to a good start. The first time I did it, I was 20, and it was easier for me to recover from things like drinking or splurging, but now at my age I know I need to be a lot more disciplined. Also I took my time the first time, taking nearly two years to lose the weight. This time I set my goal to get there in 2010, so I don't have any time to mess around.
Thanks for asking. It helps me a lot to lay it all out there, the reasons and motivations. It's especially helpful to reassess them at different points where I might otherwise start to get complacent. Good luck to you on your weight-loss journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment