Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lifetime Membership - 146.4

I made Lifetime at my Weight Watchers meeting last night. That means I have reached my goal weight and successfully maintained it for six weeks. I wish I had thought ahead because I was asked at the meeting if I had any advice. Of course I had a million things I could say but I was on the spot and I said the first thing that came to mind.

What I said was to be patient and honest with yourself. Patient because it doesn't happen overnight but it's totally worth the time it takes. Honest because the only person who knows the truth is also the only person with any stake in the truth, so there's no benefit in hiding from it. I mentioned that you might do everything right in a week and still gain two pounds, and that's okay! It happens. There's no need to blame it on water retention or muscle gain, as long as you know whether you did everything right the previous week or not, that's the only thing that matters. As long as the overall trend is downward, you're fine. And don't even get hung up on the number or try to game the scale from week to week because that does not lead to long-term success and will only make you crazy.

That's what I said. What I should have said, and I can't believe I forgot my number one mantra and rant about WW, is that if all you're doing is counting points, you're cheating yourself. The WW program, which we pay our hard-earned money for, has a plethora of tools and resources available for setting and reaching goals, gaining motivation, getting your head in the healthy place where it needs to be first so the body can follow. If you're stuck, ask for help. Use the tools. That's what they are there for. Oh well, I'll write it here for the thousandth time and maybe someone will read it and take it to heart.

After my meeting I went to Crossfit, which was very good. Grady and I were the only people in the class (it's nearing finals so everything in town is slow) and there were two trainers so we basically got some one-on-one couple's personal training for the low, low price of our Crossfit membership. It was a pretty sweet deal.

I spent the drive home belting out Miley Cyrus and Jennifer Hudson and basically feeling proud and inspired. I stopped at Kroger and got more fruits and veggies. Strawberries are in season and I got a basket of giant ones. Yum!

In the evening I watched The Biggest Loser and it was old favorites week so I got to see Ali Vincent and Tara Costa and it was so awesome. They spoke some about how losing the weight is just the beginning and what it is like to try to maintain the loss afterward and the episode couldn't have come at a better time for me.

Anyway, it is what it is. I was more jubilant about reaching goal than Lifetime. I feel like it's just six weeks at the beginning of the rest of my life as opposed to one big milestone. I do feel confident and positive, very zen, and my relationship with food has never been healthier.

3 comments:

  1. So proud of You! I'm going to use your blog for inspiration as I've Just got back to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You've totally rocked the WW program and are a huge inspiration to me! Thank you for sharing your jouney. It's good to see that even the successful people get frustrated some times.

    Now how are you still losing weight in maintenance? Are you even trying or is it just happening naturally?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, don't make me answer that, I'll feel like a jerk! Yes, I'm losing without trying.

    When you get to maintenance, you get six extra points a day to start, and then you weigh every week and adjust up or down accordingly. I stayed pinned right at my goal weight for the first four weeks without having to adjust my points, and then I guess my body just got used to the new number and I started losing again. I'm still working out like crazy, which I know doesn't hurt.

    My personal goal is lower than my WW goal (8 pounds to go!), so I'm happy to still be losing especially on so many more points!

    ReplyDelete