Saturday, August 21, 2010

Running WTF

I ran another 3.5 miles yesterday after work. It's cooling down enough that I don't have to wait for the sun to go down to run, which is nice because I can knock it out first thing and then enjoy the rest of the evening. It's the third time I've been able to go the full distance, so I'm calling that my default distance for now and going up or down from there.

The WTF part comes from during the run itself. I hadn't made it even a mile when I had a painful stitch or cramp under my ribs. I don't know if it was in my stomach (I'd just had a soda) or in my lungs, but trying to stand up straight and regulate my breathing did not help at all. I kept hoping it would go away on it's own, but it didn't, and right about the mile mark I gave up and started walking home, near tears.

As soon as I started walking, the pain went away. I walked about two house widths and then decided to try running again and see how far I could get before it came back. It never did and I was able to run the rest of the distance with ease. The difference in pain and energy and motivation was like night and day.

Running is weird.

1 comment:

  1. I HATE that. For me, I definitely think it's related to carbonation. Every time I have some sort of soda and then run, I regret it. Good for you for starting up again, though. I tend to quit to easily- I need to follow your example more.

    ReplyDelete