Friday, March 12, 2010

Adding fiber to reduce points

My mom will add lots of veggies and beans to her chili in order to take away some points from the meat. I am not comfortable with adding calories to a food with the intent to reduce the points. It just seems counter-intuitive.

However she and I both lost a lot of weight doing 1-2-3 Success, before they put in the fiber cap, just like Charlie did, so obviously it can work if you don't abuse it. She even kept the weight off, unlike myself.

One thing was that we had a WW leader who told us that the only zero point foods were veggies and condiments. There were tortillas, fiber cookies, and cereal that were so high in fiber that the calculated out to zero, but the WW leader said we had to count them as one point. I don't know if that was an official WW policy, or just hers, but we stuck to it and it helped. My grandpa's wife who was a WW leader in Wisconsin said that some high-fiber cereal is a free snack, but we chose not to go that route.

Now a can of chili with beans that used to be 3 points is now 8 points, and I count all 8, but mom chooses to split the difference between the old and new systems. I think it's great if it works for her (and it does, she's a size 4), but for myself I count all 8, because I know the R&D department at WW spends a lot of money doing this kind of research so we don't have to.

Sometimes it does hurt to see all those points go into what is essentially a can of fiber, but I'm more interested in losing the weight than stretching my points as far as I can take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment