I ran my first 5K trail run yesterday in Buford. Race Website (including map). My total time was 35:38.
Running on a trail is a lot different than on the road. I had to watch out for hazards like rocks and tree roots the whole time, so my mind was on the ground directly in front of me instead of at the finish line, which made the time pass differently (I won't say faster or slower, just differently). The hills were really steep at times, both on the uphill and the downhill. Fortunately I was able to rely on hiking, uphill running, and sprinting experience to get up the hills without breaking stride. Downhill is not so easy. The temptation is to use gravity to move as fast as you can, but on these trails it was just too perilous to risk falling so I had to actually slow myself down.
In all it was a ton of fun. The weather was nice and the scenery was beautiful. A bug dropped out of a tree and bit me on the neck at one point, so that was nice and rustic.
Hi! I'm Jennifer. I am a 36-year-old Air Force veteran and a graduate student at the University of Georgia. I have been a Lifetime Member at Weight Watchers since April, 2011, and I have been blogging my weight-loss experience semi-regularly since I began in January, 2010. I am currently employed as a receptionist at Weight Watchers, but the opinions expressed in this blog and its related pages are my own.
Sunday, October 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very proud of you kiddo. Love, Mommy
ReplyDeleteAwesome! You're fast! I did a 3 mile trail run for fun 2 weeks ago and it was rough. Having to constantly watch where you step and how fast you're running down hill was distracting. I can't imagine doing that with a large group of people on the same trail.
ReplyDeleteCorey: We did the first quarter-mile on a paved road in order to get spaced out. But you're right, on the trail itself it was a little bit narrow for passing someone. And since nearly everyone has iPods on (including me) you don't know you're going to get passed until it happens. But everyone was really nice. There was a lot of, "excuse me," "no, excuse me!" going on out there.
ReplyDeleteMommy: Thanks!