I watch The Biggest Loser and in last night's episode they sent the contestants to Marine boot camp at Camp Pendleton for a week. Watching the show brought back a lot of memories of my own experience at Air Force basic training, some stuff that I haven't even thought about since I was there.
I thought it was realistic the way they portrayed the tight schedule and the time limits and the food. Most of the contestants had poor weight loss, and three even gained. Boot camp is never about losing weight. It's about building a unit and training and being prepared for physical and mental hardship. There is almost no sleep and ridiculously high amounts of stress, which are both totally counter-indicated in weight loss. The food is delicious and of high quality, but it is also very high in calories and sodium, because you need those things in order to keep up physically. Personally, I gained five pounds my six weeks in basic (from 150 to 155), and I was probably in the best shape of my life on graduation day.
Overall, I really liked the episode. I have fond memories of my own experience, and I especially enjoyed watching others go through it from the comfort of my couch.
No comments:
Post a Comment