Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What to do about Curves?

When I found out last month that my Curves was moving to a different location, I got angry. I felt betrayed by the bait-and-switch. They had set up shop in the beautiful and convenient location in the Kroger center to drum up walk-in business, and once they had it they switched to the low-rent location assuming we would all just make the move with them. I was ready to quit right then and there.

For better or worse, I calmed down and decided to give them a chance. I still had a month at the old location, and I wanted to at least try the new location. They made the move last weekend, and I went to the new place last night for the first time.

What a disaster! The place is tiny. The recovery stations are all right on top of each other, so if there's anybody working near you, you can't use your arms. That's right, the recovery stations are less than arm's distance from each other, so even if I didn't want to use my arms, I have somebody else working directly in my personal space. I am not comfortable with that at all. The two large changing rooms have been replaced with one tiny water closet. I have to sit on the toilet to change my shoes. And the stretching area is a tiny patch of floor between the desk and the scale, so only one person can use it at a time, and only if nobody is signing up or getting measured at the same time. Considering that the membership fee is more than that of a full-service gym, I am not getting my money's worth out of this.

Wow, I started typing this post figuring I'd weigh out the pros and cons of keeping my membership, but now I'm so fired up I know I don't want this anymore. I am hesitant to quit, as Curves is the only workout I get right now other than walking my dog. I suppose the way to deal with that is to commit to some other workout in the same time slot. There's nothing magical about Curves that makes me work out there three times a week as opposed to doing anything else. It's not even that good of a workout for me anymore. Once my membership lapses, I'll figure out what I'm going to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment