Thursday, January 14, 2010

Curves

Hi there! I went and did a trial workout at Curves today, and then signed up. Here are my initial impressions.

The representative was awesome and she stuck with me twice around the circuit, demonstrating the equipment and correcting my form, etc. She was incredibly patient. I think I would have been bored as heck if our positions were switched.

For the circuit itself, well you really get out of it what you put into it. The first time around I was really just paying attention to her and my 10-second heart-rate only got up to 14. The second time, after I had experience with the equipment, I was able to really work and get it up to 24. The big difference I think was jogging vs. walking in place on the recover stations. So, yeah, you can get cardio out of it, but you have to put in the effort. After the circuits, there is a complete stretching routine.

There are a lot of pros to this program for me. I loved that I didn't have to count my reps, or decide which areas to work or machines to use. I didn't have to think at all. I was able to completely space out on the second circuit, and the time flew by. Also since it's a specified routine, the whole body gets a workout, whereas when I'm picking my own machines, I tend to skip certain areas like abs. Oh! Also, since the machines are hydrolic or pneumatic or whatever, you don't have to waste any time adjusting your resistance, nor waste any brain power trying to decide what weight to use. Again, I really like not having to think.

The only con is that it seems like it could get really old, really fast.

After working out, I got a full fitness assessment, including height, weight, tape-measure, and body fat analysis. I especially enjoyed that, because usually I only have my scale to go by, and I'm looking forward to seeing my inches and percent go down. I never measured before because my sewing tape measure is 36 inches and I need way more than that, which is embarrassing in itself. But anyway, the computer is supposed to remind you to get the fitness assessment monthly, and I'm looking forward to that, too, especially as I don't go to WW meetings, so I could use the accountability and cheering section.

No comments:

Post a Comment