Sunday, March 25, 2012

At a Crossroads

Since I've been on maintenance, I haven't been inspired much to write much about my day-to-day life, choosing instead to focus on interesting events like races, parties, and holidays. I have the rest of my life to do this and I found that posting my graphics is a much faster and simpler way to communicate how I'm doing with eating, tracking, and exercising. It doesn't display my feelings about it, but I try to include some stuff about my state of mind in the text.

So the point is, I have some stuff going on with my routine that I would have written at length about in the past but I haven't said a peep so far. I think at that time I was very nervous and uncertain and had to analyze the heck out of everything, whereas now I tend not to sweat the small stuff so much. Except this is not small, and I think I'm getting a bit blasé about it all. So today I write.

I took two P.E. classes for the first 10 weeks of the semester. I had running on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and I had spinning on Tuesday and Thursday. I also continued to go with Grady to Crossfit three days a week. I knew going into it that I was going to be overtraining, but it was just a couple months and I needed the credit hours for my G.I. Bill. Indeed, I suffered some from that amount of exercise, but it's in the past now and my body has healed.

I discovered over Spring Break that having to go to those classes five days a week made me forget how to motivate myself to go out on my own time and train. Yesterday, after the last week of those classes, I went out on my own and did my 5.7-mile run from my house, and I did it in a killer time. I finished in 54 minutes which is a PR by 4 minutes. It felt good to run for myself after doing because I had to all year.

Everything would be fine, except that the second big piece of news is that my Crossfit location is closing. The owner/trainer is moving to Alabama and I wish him the best. I wrote this after my very first workout there, and the last thing I said was, "He's a respectful and supportive guy and I'm sure it'll be fine." It was more than fine. Grady joined a month later and after 15 months, the two of us love it just as much as ever. So now we only have one more week at our gym, then a goodbye party, and then what?

We've talked to the other members about possibly going to another location, but we also have to consider the possibility of going it alone. We have agreed to commit to our schedule and do three hours per week of something, whether it's outdoors or at the Ramsey Center or whatever. We have learned so much about all kinds of fitness, and now it's time to apply what we've learned.

I'm just nervous because we've just been kind of doing our routine without thinking about it, and it just worked because we had so much fitness built into our routine. But now we need to be more proactive and adjust our routine and really make this work. We're both committed to making it work, so I am sure we'll be fine. I was right the last time I said that.

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar situation when my kettlebell instructor decided to give up the business and I had to find a new place. At first it was really challenging, especially with all of the uncertainty and change in routine. It actually ended up being a great change. Hang in there! You will find a new routine that will work for you.

    ReplyDelete